11-Year-Old Dies While Playing Mini-Golf
A girl from New York was electrocuted after trying to retrieve a ball from a pond in a mini-golf course near Orlando Florida.
11-year-old Ashton Jojo was on vacation with her family at a time-share resort in Orlando. She went miniature golfing one afternoon at around 2pm, and went to retrieve her golf ball at the shallow 2 foot deep pond. That’s when guests heard her screams of pain. When another guest Christopher Burges tried to come to her rescue, he was also injured from the electric shock.
Ashton was quickly rushed to the nearby Florida Hospital, but died shortly after.
“The miniature golf facility where the incident happened is closed and will not re-open until further notice,” explained a statement from the course. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the guests, their families and friends during this time.”
A building safety official reported that the golf course was connected to several electrical code violations, and that the electrocution may have been triggered by a faulty pump connected to the wrong circuit breaker.
Ashton Jojo just celebrated her 11th birthday, just days before the accident.