14-Year-Old Rescues Boy from Burning House
14-year-old Marcos Ugarte didn’t hesitate as he grabbed a ladder and saved a little boy from a burning home.
A fire broke down in a home in Troutdale, Oregon on the evening of September 24. The second story of the Ma family home broke down in flames, as the family ran down to escape. Unfortunately, 8-year-old Cody Ma who suffers from ADD locked himself in a room and refused to leave.
Marcos Ugarte and his father Eduardo Ugarte heard the commotion in the streets.
“As soon as we realized it was coming from the house down the street, I assumed they were just arguing,” Eduardo Ugarte recalled. “I said to Marcos, ‘Let’s just leave them alone.’ But Marcos said, ‘No Dad, look at the glow behind the house.’”
The father and son went to their neighbor to offer their help, just in time to see Cody’s father Alex Ma struggle to come out of the house.
“When I arrived at the door of our neighbor’s house, he [Alex Ma] was stumbling down the stairs because he had been completely engulfed in flames,” Eduardo said. “He had soot coming out of his nose and his mouth, he had just ingested so much of it.”
Eduardo tried to run in the house and coax the boy outside, but he also ran back out empty-handed.
It was then that Marcos grabbed a ladder from Cody’s grandmother and decided to take matters into his own hands.
He used the ladder to climb up to the boy’s room. “I took the ladder, and I propped it up on the window, and I crawled up the window and punched the screen out and grabbed the 7-year-old boy — about 7, he looked 7 — and grabbed him and carried him down the ladder,” Marcos explained. “He was scared at first and he didn’t know if he should come out, and I was like, ‘It’s OK, come on, come on. I got you.’ So he came out and he just walked down.”
“There was just so much adrenaline going on,” Ugarte later tells ABC. “This doesn’t surprise me that he just takes initiative and gets the job done. He is in my eyes a true hero.”
The entire family came out unscathed although Cody was treated for smoke inhalation. As for the Ma family, they are forever grateful for Marcos’ bravery.
“I may never forget their names because they’re my heroes,” a grateful Alex Ma says of the Ugartes. “They’re my son’s heroes forever.”
The Gresham Fire Department have plans to honor Marcos later this year.
“I think it’s awesome,” Eduardo said. “I hope that he would perhaps through this recognize that God has a purpose for him.”