Teen Died from Energy Drinks; Mom Speaks Up
Wendy Crossland talks about her 14-year-old daughter Anais who died from caffeine toxicity in the latest interview with Anderson Cooper.
Anais died last year after drinking two Monster energy drinks within 24 hours, causing her to go into cardiac arrest the next day, and eventually dying from cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity.
“She was at the mall with her friends the night before, and had a 24-ounce energy drink,” Wendy recounted. “She drank another one less than 24 hours later, even though she knew I do not allow them because I know they are bad for you. She went into cardiac arrest three hours later at home.”
The caffeine in two Monster energy drinks is equivalent to the caffeine in 14 cans of Coke, and five times the recommended caffeine limit for teens.
While doctors note that the condition is not a catalyst to the incident, Anais suffers from a preexisting heart condition called mitral valve prolapse, a malfunction of the heart valve.
Watch the interview below.